Reppin’ Love for Marketing

It should come as no surprise that the AHS marketing program has found a unique way to peak the interest of potential pupils in the department’s series of elective classes. But who would have expected them to use the ‘student body’ as a billboard? The marketing recruitment campaign hit the halls today as current marketing students showed off their appreciation for the program and their eagerness to expand by wearing “I Love AHS Marketing” temporary tattoos.

“I love the idea and I am glad to be a part of it,” said marketing student, senior Chris Sheehy. “The marketing program is strong and I hope when we seniors leave, other students will continue the success.”

With the elective fair being held today, Friday Feb. 19, all elective teachers have been working to entice students to their field of study. Posters have been hung by many departments to alert students of the elective opportunities, but the marketing department has been alone in using the clever body art campaign to attract students.

In all of the marketing electives, students are exposed to real-world advertising techniques and participate in projects that present them with opportunities to develop their own marketing campaigns. The department’s use of body art to advertise the program is a great example of an application of the skills taught in the classes.

“I had heard of other businesses paying people to advertise their companies using real tattoos,” said marketing student, senior Julia Moeller. “The advertising technique that the marketing program is participating in is a great display of innovative and real world knowledge and methods a student can learn in class.”

The technique of advertising via tattoos can be found in the real business world today. The business Golden Palace Casino was a pioneer is using tattoos as an advertising promotion. This business is well known for the $100,000 they paid to professional boxer Bernard Hopkins to reveal his permanent tattoo during one of his matches. The tattoo read goldenpalacecasino.com and was extremely successfully in boosting gamer membership for the online gambling site.

The Golden Palace Casino experienced a great increase in public interest for their business, as membership numbers increased 200% after the tattoo was exposed. Given the success of the casino and the buzz that the marketing recruitment campaign has already caused in the halls, the exposure is sure to positively affect the number of students interested in the marketing program.