The Spirit of Five Guys

“Annandale was bland before we came along. We came, we conquered, and we made AHS fresher in the process. But we can’t stay forever and now it’s time for us to do big things.  Hopefully someone will step up to the plate next year and fill our shoes,” said senior Hasib Iqbal.

In every high school there are those who work to make an impact on the school, those who attempt to avoid leaving any trace of their existence, and then there are those who can’t help but change a school forever. At AHS there are many students who will be remembered throughout time, but there is one particular group that has certainly left a mark that cannot be erased.

“The Goons have made my four years at AHS unforgettable. From basketball games to Twerkfest, events wouldn’t be the same without them,“ said senior Rachel Gallogly. “Their unique personalities and endless jokes have made it a joy coming to school.”

The Goon Squad consists of six senior boys whose charming personalities have stolen the attention of the student body. Although they do not formally call themselves the Goons, Hasib Iqbal, Anthony Ayeah, Joe Turner, Tony Marelle, Peter Pham and Yousef Samey were dubbed this nickname freshman year and it has stuck ever since.

“Sometimes the boys get mad when people call them the Goons. Yet, what they don’t understand is that it’s a term of affection that reflects they’re playful side,” said junior Banna Gebermichael.

Whatever their title may be, this group of boys has livened the social scene at AHS. The much anticipated “Twerkfests” and “Battles of the Clappaz” are well-known events created by this trendy group. Their passion for entertainment became evident at these events that drew students from all walks of life together.

“We thought of Twerkfest because we wanted everyone to come out and have a good time. Dancing and music appeal to all types of people, so it wasn’t a shock when half the school came out to twerk,” said Maraelle.

Their zest and enthusiasm are not just limited to the dance floor. It isn’t unusual for the Goons to start a chant at a pep rally, rep their school spirit at a sporting event, or even liven up a dull A Lunch.

From head to toe, hats to shoes, their style is noteworthy.  Even at seven in the morning, the boys dress to impress on a daily basis, allowing their appearances to reflect their vibrant personalities.

“I don’t know what I’ll miss more about the Goons: their inspiring wardrobes, their hoppin’ parties, or their friendly shouts down the hallways.  AHS will not be the same without  them next year, but I know for a fact this will not be the last time I hear of them,” said junior Lance Miller.

To some students, the Goons are just another group of boys. But, to anyone who took the time to befriend them understand how unforgettable they truly are. The Goons threw some of the school’s most diversified parties, introduced new styles to the student body, and will be missed greatly next year. They surely made their mark on the school, and their chants will forever ring in the hallways of AHS.