Students step out in support

Like the forgotten old toy in the back of a teenager’s closet, the Gay Straight Alliance Club is often forgotten at AHS.

As the club currently has three core members, seniors Marissa Vigano, Angie Hardin and Brandon Morrison, members are seeking more members to attend meetings and participate in club events.

Despite the GSA club being extensively promoted by the club’s sponsor and members, Hardin believes there are other reasons as to why students do not participate. “Nobody cares enough to join. People think that if they join, they’ll be considered gay or lesbian,” Hardin said.

The most commonly asked question students have about GSA is: what do you even do in the club?

Having a club of three regular members does not exactly help with getting to learn more about others, so they have discussions about the current bills under consideration and read articles about others’ stories, experiences, and beliefs about gay rights.

The GSA has been involved recently in many projects, including the “It Gets Better” organization which aims to aid those in need, give support, and to be a place where stories can be shared with others. In addition to this project, GSA is heavily involved in the annual Day of Silence, World AIDS Day and No Name Calling Week.

The GSA club believes that AHS can grow into a much more accepting school when it comes to being gay. Many students forget that it is a Gay and Straight Alliance, therefore you do not need to be gay or bi-sexual to fit in. “It’s a great place for people to just come in and ask questions or share opinons,” Vigano said.

Unlike many other clubs, GSA was made to accommodate students’ schedules.

Even more then half way through the school year, new students are still welcome to participate. “It’s a fun place to be and the club is so flexible for anyone to be able to join,” Vigano said.

There are meetings every Wednesday after school in trailer 6.

It is not neccessary to attend a certain number of meetings to be considered a member of the club.

Students do not even have to worry about meeting a certain GPA to be a member, it’s school-stress free.

While the three main members of the club are graduating seniors, the GSA club also regularly attracts others in their weekly meetings. They encourage any and everyone to come by and experience the club.