Prom plans set in motion

Prom: the elite social event of high school that is anticipated and planned since the beginning of freshman year. One of the major perks of being a senior, the ability to attend prom is part of a senior’s final goodbye to high school life.

AHS Prom has been planned by senior class officers Emma Barker, Kelsey Price, Victoria Ko and Carly Bouchard and will be held on June 3 at the Waterford in Springfield. The Class of 2011 has been raising money for the event through various fundraisers over the past four years. The Class of 2011 won the annual Homecoming float contest their freshman year, which contributed to a solid amount of their Prom funds.

Freshman and sophomore years were aimed at obtaining the basis for the money raising spirit, while junior year was when the down payment is made and actual plans are set in stone. The following year, all the additives and final details are worked out in preparation for the event.

“Once the location is set it’s easier to come up with all the other plans and extra things that go along with planning prom and making it great,” senior Grace Franjie said.

Last year’s Prom had an attendance of over 400 people, so class officers must be prepared for a large number of guests. Tickets this year will cost $45 to accommodate the chocolate fountain, photo booth, D.J., professional photographer and souvenir sunglasses that will be available at the dance.

Although there is no official theme for this year’s Prom, all decorations will be blue and silver. The current and rising senior class officers will set up all decorations the morning of the event.

Security staff and Principal John Ponton will serve as “bouncers,” meeting and greeting students at the door to the Waterford, and teachers will chaperon the event.

“Prom takes a lot of work. You have to work with the Waterford [establishment], the D.J., administration and other class officers to make sure things run smoothly,” senior class President Emma Barker said. “Decorations are being ordered and plans are coming together. It’ll be fun to see how the night turns out.”

As the date of the event creeps closer, seniors’ excitement levels rise in anticipation of completing the tough tasks of finding the perfect date, dress, shoes and hairstyle. Juggling large groups with eating and photo locations can get tricky.

“The only hard part [of] planning for such big groups is finding a restaurant that will fit everyone and a party bus that everyone can afford,” senior Kate Bermingham said.

Dress shopping is also a major component of the formal event. A Facebook group, in which girls are able to post pictures of their dress, was begun by senior Natalie Johnson to help girls avoid buying the same one as a classmate.

“I made the Prom dress group because I wanted to prevent the drama and awkwardness that occurs when two people have the same dress. Prom is a big night for a lot of people and girls are placed under a lot of pressure to look their best. Worrying about someone having the same dress as you just adds to the pressure,” Johnson said.

“I’m excited for Prom and it should be fun. It was hard to find a dress because you’re afraid someone else is going to have the same one,” senior Kate Nguyen said.

After all the hours of hard work and planning the senior class officers have put in, their once-in-a-lifetime Prom should be a night to remember.