Youtube student sensation

5’3’’, eleventh grade, 5,607 subscribers and 611,705 views. You might know her as omgitsmeggie, ‘that Asian girl in Select Women’s Choir’ or just plain Megan Dinh. Regardless of your association, it is a fact that she is a Youtube sensation.

Her very first video was a music video of Ke$a’s “Tik-Tok” made on a whim with a friend. A whim which turned into much more after it got 10,800 views.

“We just made it because we were bored,” Dinh said. “The ‘likes’ started out on Facebook mostly, so I posted it on Youtube.”

It wasn’t until she received a number of comments on the video that she created her own special Youtube channel, omgitsmeggie. In the interim, she has made or appeared in over 40 videos.

“When I made [my channel], I used a nickname from third grade [(omgitsmeggie)] and now I can’t change it,” Dinh said.

Although Dinh has considered pursuing video editing or producing as a career, her current Youtube video manufacturing does not distract her from her education.

“I make videos whenever I have the time; more often during breaks, summer, etc.,” Dinh said. “I haven’t made any recently because of school.”

Since the end of eighth grade, she and the same friend who helped launch her Youtube career, now a student at JEB Stuart HS, have stayed in touch.

“I have to say [having a Youtube channel] is not something I usually bring up,” Dinh said. “I find it weird, talking to a camera. [Making videos] with friends is easier than

alone and I prefer it.”

Although she sometimes uses her friends as makeshift tripods– when she is not using her webcam– Dinh does not rely on other Youtubers for her inspiration, which is perhaps why her channel is so diverse. Dinh makes covers of famous songs in addition to music videos, vlogs and product reviews.

“I don’t even remember the name of the one girl who got me started on Youtube; it was just a random music video,” Dinh said. “She quit Youtube because of college.”

Dinh plans to do the same and follow in her inspiration’s footsteps by refusing to let Youtube dictate her life, especially in the first few years of college, as she gets her bearings.

Though she is largely independently motivated, Dinh’s parents bought her first High Definition (HD) camera.

“My mom really supports me but my dad doesn’t really understand it,” Dinh said. “I wanted the HD camera since my first camera was regular quality and I needed to upgrade.”

So how did Dinh move from music videos with friends to reviewing products for companies? Publicity.

“I made an email especially for my Youtube account,” Dinh said. “Businesses started contacting me to review their products, and I agreed.”

The first product she reviewed was a hair curler from Follica.com. It remains her favorite critique to this day.

“I get to keep the products I review, and I’m really into that,” Dinh said. “Especially the ones for hair.”

Because she does not receive any payment for the process of getting companies “out there,” as she puts it, Dinh is free to criticize or compliment a product.

“I’ve never gotten angry emails from companies for dissing their stuff,” Dinh said. “The worst thing that’s happened is I had to keep a bunch of ugly clothes I was sent.”

Every person who has made a Youtube video has experienced ‘trolling,’ or negative feedback from ‘haters’.

“One specific person made a hate channel because they thought my videos were too random,” Dinh said. “But they got banned.”

Dinh says that the opinions of other don’t really bother her, and that her supporters help

out by commenting in her defense when she

hasn’t had the chance to delete derogatory responses.

The only thing Dinh is truly serious about when it comes to Youtube is her editing. While she uses various shooting techniques, she swears by the program SonyVegas to perfect her videos before airing them.

“The video that has the most views I don’t really like,” Dinh said. “It’s ‘Like a G6’ and it got like 66,000 views.”

She does not use her channel to sell her followers on personal political or religious points of view, something that is reflected in her enjoyment of fellow Youtubers MichellePhan’s and NigaHiga’s convivial videos.

“It’s purely a just for fun, do whatever you want sort of thing,” Dinh said, “I don’t publish weekly or have a special [creative] process or anything.”

With the third annual Vidcon (the world’s first–and largest–conference dedicated to the medium of online video) on the horizon, Dinh is considering a trip to Anaheim, California this August.

Dinh specifies that although she includes a short message at the end of each of her videos asking people to subscribe, she does not have a partnership with Youtube and therefore does not receive any profit–other than motivation–from subscriptions.