Summer vacations begin

As soon as the 2010-2011 school year ended, many AHS students packed their bags and headed straight to the airport to begin their summer vacations.

A typical summer getaway usually consists of going to the beach for a week or two, attending
a camp, or visiting relatives; but some students are going against the norm. Rising junior
Joe Bermingham went to the Dominican Republic with his family to celebrate his sister’s recent
graduation from AHS.

“I went to Punta Cana for a week with my family and another family. It was a lot of fun
because I got to hang out with all of my sisters one last time before they all go back to college,”
said Bermingham.

Like Bermingham, rising sophomore Victoria Huenemann is also vacationing outside of the country this summer.

“I’m going to Germany for two weeks with the choral department. After that I’m going all around
Europe with my family,” said Huenemann. “I am so excited [to go to Europe] because it’ll be my
first time going there.”

Rising senior Hiba Abuelhawa chose to stay in the U.S. for her summer vacation this year. “I’m going to Martha’s Vineyard with my friend and her family for about a week. I went last year and I can’t wait to go back because the island is so fun and the beaches there are so pretty.” said Abuelhawa.

Other students just want to keep summer simple, as summer is the one time of the year where
students don’t feel all the stress and pressure of school.

“Most of my summer vacation includes tanning at the pool and hanging with close friends.
Summer is a chance to take a break from school, so I take full advantage of that by sleeping in
late and chilling during the day,” said rising junior Ashley Whittle.

Whether summer vacations are near or far, students use the two and a half month period between school as a chance to kick back and enjoy time with family and friends.