Interview with Oh, Satellite

Band mates Tyler Miller,  Alec Stewert, Randy Ma and Andy Tran are aspiring to be the next big thing with the start of their band, Oh Satellite. The guys have been buddies throughout their academic journey here at AHS and with the start of their new band are hoping to stay together for awhile.

The band is very passionate in what they do and are very excited to take the next step in coming out to the AHS community. They plan to make a statement with their music and hopefully influence others to listen or appreciate a different style of music. Group members Tran and Miller opened up to The A-Blast to discuss their journey as a group.

How do you all know each other?
Miller: “Andy, Randy and I have known each other since elementary school, and we all met Alec at AHS.
What made you want to start a band?
Miller: “Andy and I have been playing music together since middle school. We’ve tried to put bands together before, but nothing has ever worked out. Now that we actually have a functional group, we’re trying to turn it into something serious and create a new sound.”

Explain your genre of music (post-hardcore with electronic sludge influences)?
Tran: “We’re trying to be aggressive and melodic at the same time. We’re bringing in some ambient sounds over some hard core stuff with a pinch of electronics. We’re trying to steer away from the generic sound most bands have nowadays. It’s pretty swag.”

What artists are similar to your type of music and influence you?
Tran: “Bands like Oceana, Decoder, Of Machines, Lower Definition, Four Letter Lie, as well as a lot of other hip hop artists.”
Do you write your songs? And if so, what inspires you to write them?
Tran: “We have one song finished so far, and we’re in the middle of writing another one. We’re definitely inspired by the positivity from everyone and everything around us, and the chroma season.”

Where can your fans hear you perform?
Miller: “We’re going to be playing at Battle of the Bands at school in May. But as of now, we’re trying to set up some shows at Jaxx Nightclub before the end of the school year. And soon fans can listen to our music on YouTube. We also have a Twitter @ohsatellite.”

What are your plans for the future as a group?
Miller: “As of now, we’re saving up for some new equipment. But as soon as we’re prepared, we plan on playing at Jaxx Nightclub and other local venues as often as possible.”