Straight out of the ’Burgh

Young, white rappers seem to be making a comeback these days with rappers such as Sam Adams, Asher Roth and Mac Miller making it big.

The latter of the three, Miller, is a new name who seems to be becoming extremely popular in the competitive world of rap and hip-hop.

Miller, whose given name is Malcolm McCormick, released his fourth mix tape, Best Day Ever, on March 11 this year.

Miller is a 19 year-old rapper from Pittsburgh. Originally only known in his neighborhood, he has become a big name in the rap community all over the nation.
Although he has concerts selling out every night, many do not know of his creative musical background.

Miller taught himself how to play the drums, piano, guitar and bass all by the age of six, and by the age of eight he started laying down his own freestyles.
Many of his musical muses included Big L., A Tribe Called Quest, Beastie Boys, Lauyrn Hill and Outcast.

Earlier in his music career he was in a group named Lil Spoken and, instead of Mac Miller, he went by the stage name of Easy Mac.

In 2007 he released his first mix-tape, Mackin’ Ain’t Easy, and then he released two other projects in 2009 called The Jukebox and The High Life which became quick hits on the Internet.
From the second he dropped his first hit, it was a known fact that this kid was definitely a competitor in the game of music industry.

In 2010, he signed with the independent record company Rostrum Records, and released his first ever album, K.I.D.S. which featured blazing songs such as “Nike’s My On My Feet,” “Kool-aid and Frozen Pizza,” “Senior Skip Day” and “Knock Knock.” His songs gained over two million views on YouTube and on iTunes.

His huge fan base continues to grow exponentially, as his success on the “Incredibly Dope Tour” demonstrates.

The sky’s the limit for this underrated artist. He hopes to have much more success and enlarge his fan base on his “Best Day Ever” tour, with his newest album.

“He came from the bottom and worked his way up. He’s still climbing and still has a full career ahead of him. I definitely respect him,” junior Dylan Shuey said.

The first song leaked from the album, “Donald Trump,” currently has over two million views on YouTube. Some other songs featured in this album include “Oy Vey,” “Get up,” “Wear My Hat” and “Down the Rabbit Hole.”

Many of his songs contain explicit language, however some have strong messages along with great beats and flow that makes the album a good choice for young adults who enjoy hip-hop and rap.