Spring musical rehearsals begin

Photo courtesy of Mark Slough
Juniors James Barker (second from left) and Mark Slough and sophomore Deanna Gowland pose in character at Broadway Desserts.

Lucy babbles incessantly about this and that just to fill the page. Linus is in the middle of a deep literary awakening, and Charlie Brown hasn’t even started his book report yet. You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown entertains audiences with its innocence, humor, and ability to surprise even the most experienced with strong moral lessons.

Drama students have begun preparations for the spring musical, You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown, derived from Charles M. Schulz’s 1950’s cartoon Peanuts. The rehearsals began immediately after winter break and will end with the performance of the play on April 11, 12, and 13. It is being directed by Lee HS teacher Steven Hirsch in the absence of regular drama teacher George Bennett, who has been on leave after heart surgery.

The play will be reviewed to win Cappie awards. The Cappie Awards celebrate and recognize high school theater students across the nation. The awards will be distributed at the end of the year and scores are given in over 35 different categories including Lead Actor and Actress, Best Sound, and Best Choreography. The play You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown was chosen specifically by Hirsch for its ability to exhibit the talents of AHS students.

“We wanted to pick something that we’d be strong on so there are not as many chorus members,” senior Skye Lindberg, who is part of the ensemble, or chorus, said. “We wanted a small cast so we could really hopefully succeed and get a few awards at the Cappies.”

The full cast is composed of six main cast members and six chorus members. Over 30 students auditioned for the main roles of Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Lucy Van Pelt, Linus Van Pelt, Patty, and Schroeder. The cast includes freshman Deanna Gowland, sophomore Melissa Haberle, juniors Mark Slough and James Barker, and seniors Gwen Levey and Harris Fitzgerel.

Rehearsals have been taking place every Tuesday and Thursday.

The show is expected to be a comical and fun embodiment of the legendary Peanuts comic, which was first printed in 1950. The cast members urge AHS students, their families and friends to come see the play.

“It’s really just going to be a lot of fun for a lot of people that haven’t seen the musical version of Charlie Brown,” Lindberg said. “It’s going to be kind of fun to see the characters that you know singing and dancing. It’s a really interesting show.”

Senior Maddy Reinert, who will play the role of Peppermint Patty, agrees.

“It’s really exciting. It’s definitely different from the plays you would’ve seen so far this year because it incorporates music, dancing and big numbers,” Reinert said. “Everyone should come see it.”

The play will be performed on April 11, 12, and 13 at 7:00 pm in the auditorium. Tickets will be sold for $8 pre-sale and for $10 at the door.