Owl City disappoints with ‘The Midsummer Station’

Owl City disappoints with The Midsummer Station

Owl City leaves listeners displeased with typical beats and everyday pop tunes.

Ever since Owl City’s hit track ‘Fireflies’ hit radio stations in the summer of 2009, he became a hit across the country. Owl City released his fourth studio album The Midsummer Station Aug. 21, leaving audiences displeased and unhappy with his lack of unique tracks. In his new bubblegum pop album, Adam Young did something he has never really attempted before; he collaborated with co-producers, co-writers, and other artists.

It seemed like a success when he released his first single from the new album, ‘Good Time,’ featuring Carly Rae Jepsen, the famed ‘Call Me Maybe’ vocalist. Nevertheless, the rest of his tracks lacked individuality; every song on the album began to sound the same, mimicking the same upbeat tune. It sounded just like anything else you would hear from today’s pop savvy singers, making Owl City, known for his blend of electronica pop blend, lack his well known diversity with his fourth album.

The beginning of the track ‘I’m Coming After You’ almost sounds like Flo Rida’s popular song ‘Good Feeling’ but then of course, goes into his practical chorus and melody. The song ‘Dreams and Disasters’ uses common techno beats found in almost every pop song heard on the radio today. Young’s vocal range does not seem to be that broad, so that could be a possible explanation to why his songs lack personality. The tune’s sound opted more towards a cherubic audience, almost like that of a Kids Bop album. Each song appears to use the same instruments as the one before.

Young’s typical beats no longer give him the chance to expand his range in his songs, leaving tracks to be forgettable and leave listeners unimpressed. This album would make a great playlist for a Disney soundtrack, but it isn’t something that will be ringing in your head for days.