Meet NoVa band TheRuinCity

We sat down with up and coming locals TheRuinCity to talk about their band and what they are planning for the future.

Q: Introduce yourself and what you do in the band?
A:Mike Daknis – Vocals, Piano, Guitar
Kyle O’Keefe – Bass, Backup Vox

Q: How did TheRuinCity form, and when?
A: TRC was formed in early 2011. David Hoppel and I had been playing music together for over 10 years at that point, and had done a couple projects together, but nothing that were really stable.  We just decided to grab David’s brother, Josh, take the step, make a CD and see what happens.  After some great musicians came and went, Kyle and Dillon Knighton officially joined us back in November. -MD

Q: How would you describe your music to someone who’s never heard it before? What bands would you relate your sound too?
A:We typically refer to our music as Piano Rock.  We relate our sound to The Fray, Switchfoot, Coldplay, Copeland and Mae -KO

Q: Which one of your songs would you tell a new fan to listen to first? Why?
A: Hmm… Well, we are releasing a song from our upcoming EP this Saturday (Sept 1st) on our Facebook, so I would suggest people check out that song, which is “Home”.  We really stepped up our game with this song, and with the new EP in general, and I think this song would best display our essence as a band as well as showing the direction we’re headed with the new release. -MD

Q: Do you feel like being in such a strong music scene helps or hurts you as a band?
A: Great question… I would say both in some ways.  We love the DC music scene, but it has its negatives.  The best part about the scene is that the other bands are very supportive of eachother.  We encourage eachother, share ideas with eachother and do our best to promote eachother.  On the negative side, it also burns the people in the area out.  Because so many bands are inviting people to shows, to check out their music and everything, its burning the local fans out some. -KO

Q: What has been the most enlightening moment of your musical career?
A: Wow… I guess the most enlightening moment was the moment we realized that performing music gives you a chance to really affect people.  When you’re up on stage, or when your albums playing through someones car stereo, you have the chance to reach people deeper than you do through a normal conversation.  Over the past year, TheRuinCity has used this privilege to raise money for a non profit organization called Love146, which prevent child trafficking around the world. They literally buy children out of slavery, and give them a loving home, and the support to give them hope and to rehabilitate their lives. All the money from our CD sales have gone to Love146 to support this cause. -MD

Q: What bands inspired you to become a band or know you wanted to be a musician when you were younger?
A: I think I can speak for most everyone in the band to say that Copeland had a huge affect on us and our music. I remember the date and time 10 years ago when my older brother came back from music school and turned on Copeland’s song “California” while we were driving in the car.  I had always loved music, and I had started playing guitar, but for the first time music really moved me… I felt it in a different way than I had before. Bands like Copeland, Mae, and Jars of Clay really shaped our creative minds and influenced our passion for music. -MD

Q: You guys are playing an EP release show at Jammin Java on October 26th, what can we expect on this EP? How many songs on it?
A: You can expect a much more professional sounding record. Now that the 5 of us have really “clicked” in our writing and production, I think our sound and new songs are better then ever. Every song off this album has it’s own personality and feel. We couldn’t be more excited about it. Also, you won’t want to miss the show… We got big plans. :)  – KO

Q: Where do you hope to see your band a year from now?
A:  Well, we have a few really exciting opportunities in front of us right now, and the next few months will determine where we go. Perhaps a Justin Beiber world tour? Yeah, thats where I hope to be :P -MD

Q: What’s the best advice you could give to a high schooler trying to pursue a career in music?
A: 1. I would say you better be prepared to hustle! Its hard hard work. 2. I would say Write and play music for a purpose.  Melodies wrapped over radio waves won’t last forever. The impact of your music on the world is what will last… Deep… -MD

Q: Any big plans for the fall/winter you can share? (ex: touring, more music..?)
A: Right now, all of our focus is on our upcoming EP release show that you mentioned. We do have some pretty big oppurtunities on the horizon, so you’ll just have to keep your eyes peeled for those updates. -KO

Q: Anything else you’d like to say to our viewers about your music, upcoming events or anything!
A: Def want you guys to jump on our Facebook for updates on the new CD release. We will be posting some new and exclusive content over the next few weeks to get people pumped for our EP release and you def don’t wanna miss out! – www.Facebook.com/TheRuinCityBand