‘King and I’ auditions begin

The recent Blizzard of ’09 not only brought the closing of Fairfax County Public Schools, but also the cancellation of many programs and activities in AHS. Due to multiple conflicting events, including the downpour of snow experienced in the massive blizzard, Children’s Play, that was to be put on by AHS students, has been canceled.

The play was first suspended because of the delayed performance of The Crucible, which was performed the Friday before the early start to winter break. The date for The Crucible had been originally setback for two weeks as a result of conflicting events of the choir. This is because many cast members were involved in chorus and could not attend both events. Other AHS events and activities throughout the time period kept the play postponed. “It’s been sort of a domino effect,” said theater teacher and director George Bennett.

Although the cast for the Children’s Play had previously been selected within the past weeks since the end of winter break many other necessary things for the play had not been done. For that reason as well as others, there was not going to be enough preparation time for the play.

Considering the Children’s Play was not able to be rescheduled, the designated date of the spring play has been moved to a sooner time. The dates of the auditions have been changed as well, to January 25 through the 28, and are open to all students interested in participating.

Students will be performing The King and I, a musical. Sophomore Danielle Turner said, “Even though the plot line is really similar to The Sound of Music, which we did last year, I’m excited about it.”

Turner intends to audition for a minor role in the play to be able to sing in the chorus. She also is expecting to help backstage with the technical aspect of the play, which she said she enjoys more than acting itself.