Professional journalist comes to AHS

On Nov. 4, publication students gathered in Clausen Hall during R1 and W8 flexes to meet a professional journalist, James Carroll. Carroll writes for the Courier-Journal and was there to discuss with students about his experience in journalism. The self-proclaimed “Journalism Dinosaur” made many students laugh and answered questions about his life.

When students finally settled down from the coffee and pastries provided to them by the culinary department, Carroll began to describe his life. He began with his past, confessing his love for political science. He is a graduate of Boston University and often traveled to many foreign countries. Though skeptical at first, Carroll began blogging frequently.

“It was cool to hear from a professional blogger because that might be the future of journalism,” said senior Lance Miller.

When the floor was opened to questions, Carroll revealed that humor, was the best tool for a journalist. Whether it is battling criticism or facing harsh and serious people, humor is the best way to go. Other than humor, Carroll also said that staying up-to-date with current events is also an asset in becoming a great journalist. Students also asked Carroll about his favorite election that he had reported on. He told them that the Bush and Obama election was the most interesting because of the hot topic of a “black president.” He answered playfully but still with compassion and detail so that the audience could fully understand.

“It was a very informative session and I learned a lot about professional journalism,” said senior Jake Barnes.