AHS students mix it up

AHS is known for its wide variety of ethnicity and culture. On Tuesday, Nov. 9 all the students got to interact with one another as they experienced the annual Mix It Up Day at AHS.

Mix It Up Day took place during all lunches and as soon as every student walked into the decorative cafeteria they were given a color coded sticker. The sticker represented what color table the student should sit at for Mix It Up Day. This would vary where most of the students usually sit.

“I think it’s a great way for people to make new friends outside of their clique,” said junior Lena Nour.

As the music played, students waited in line to get their lunch. Another line was formed at the back of the cafeteria for students who wanted the Mix it Up Day bracelets that were being given out.

“A lot of people participate in Mix it Up day to get the free stuff,” said Nour. Every student who wanted a bracelet was required to meet a new friend and approach the table knowing their new friend’s name and grade.

Many students had different views on Mix It Up Day.

“I think it’s a cool idea because a lot of times you’ll see people who talk a lot and then two feet away you see people who just stare at each other,” freshman Mariam Hassan said.

Hassan was sitting with her new friends whom she got along with very well.

“The music choice could have been different. I didn’t participate but it would have been a good idea to spread out and meet other people,” junior Alex Misle said.

The AHS staff was very supportive with Mix It Up Day.

“It definitely promotes the student’s ability to step out of one’s comfort zone,” English teacher Noelle Davis said.

Mix It Up Day was a success at AHS. Not only did it allow the students to meet new friends but it was a first step to becoming a united school instead of staying in their different cliques. Students look forward to the future Mix It Up Days at AHS.