Winter Spirit Week begins

This week, the winter spirit week kicked off with switch it up day on Dec. 6. Many students dressed up as stereotypes such as “gangsters” or “nerds”. As you roamed the halls at AHS, it is obvious that the students really get into spirit week and go all out.

“I like switch it up day because we can be someone we normally aren’t,” junior Samir Shah said.

Sponsored by the Leadership program, students who participate and dress up receive points for their class during lunch by going up to the Leadership table to display their creativity. Winter spirit week is a new addition this year and was brought back by the Leadership program to help raise school spirit. If this week goes well, there will also be a spirit week in the spring, during the week of the spring pep rally.

“[Switch it up day] is fun because I get to dress up and express myself,” junior Kim Rowland said. Rowland dressed as a nerd, wearing big, black glasses, suspenders, and a tucked in shirt.

Spirit week concludes with a pep rally during R5 flex which will be at the end of the day on Dec. 10, leading up to the basketball game against the South County Stallions. The Varsity Boys Basketball team will take on the Stallions at 7:30 at AHS.

“I am excited for the basketball game because I love going to them. I also love going to the pep rally,” junior Hiba Abuelhawa said.

The complete schedule of spirit week includes Little Kid Day on Dec. 7, Sports Day on Dec. 8, Senior Citizen Day on Dec. 9, and Atomic Day (freshmen wear red, sophomores wear white, juniors wear face paint, and seniors wear togas) on Dec 10.