Seniors take home victory at Battle of the Classes

As Principal John Ponton’s announcement for the release of the R5 classes to go to the gym came to an ending, students rushed through the hallways, filled with excitement and looking forward to one of the most anticipated events of the year: the Battle of the Classes.

Battle of the Classes took place on Jan. 14 in the main gym. During this annual event, seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshmen fight and struggle to be named the best class of the year. This year, the seniors came out victorious.

The freshmen class came in fourth place with 190 points, sophomores in third place with 308 point, juniors in second place with 312 points and finally, the seniors in first place with 318 points.

The event kicked off with tug of war. First, it was the freshmen vs. the sophomores, with the sophomores defeating the freshmen. Then it was the juniors vs. the seniors and the juniors won. For the final round, the juniors and the sophomore went against each other and the sophomores held on to their victory and wiped out the juniors.

“I thought it was awesome because we won and that proves that the sophomores are the strongest class,” sophomore Nardos Assefa said.

Other activities for the Battle of the Classes included the dance off, the food obstacle course, the physical obstacle course and don’t forget the lyrics.

Then came the highlight of the day: the pie-in-the-face of teachers. The first teacher to be pied was girls basketball coach and Driver’s Education teacher Pat Hughes, then indoor track coach and History teacher Sean Miller, and, finally, Dean of Students Hassan Mims. Ponton was given the honor of pieing Mims.

Although the Battle of the Classes was fun, many students did not get a chance to enjoy it because it was hard to get into. All the R5 classes had to compete against each other in order to gain admission to the event. Two weeks before the event, each R5 class was given a snow man and told that they had to buy snowflakes for the snow man during lunch for 25 cents each. The classes with the most snowflakes would be able to attend the Battle of the Classes.

“They should have had another method because in some classes only one student would buy all the snowflakes,” Assefa said.

Some classes went above and beyond and bought more than 150 snowflakes while others barely made it in with only a little above 30 snowflakes. The leadership class held the snowflake drive. The money raised from the snowflake drive will be donated to local charities around the community.