Students begin work on Science Fair

With science fair only four months away, science teachers believe it is crucial to know what is to be expected and how to get started. Today, in the auditorium, science teacher Steven Fenchel gave a presentation to all honors science students about this year’s science fair and how to begin.Since science fair is 10 percent of students’ final science grade, the students are determined to do well.  There are steps that students can take to make a good project. As Fenchel said in the presentation, coming up with a good idea is the most important part. The science fair is going to be held in the gym on February 2.Fenchel believed that if a student picks a topic that he or she is interested in and wants to learn about, then it will show in the final project.  This has helped many students in the past year. Picking something that students have a genuine interest in inspires them to work hard on their project.

Students who are new to science fair or those who needed a refresher thought this meeting was very beneficial  Science fair can be very confusing for some students and they need clarification. Fenchel mentioned that keeping a data journal and writing everything do everything in the experiment can keep students more organized.

“The meeting really helped me learn about science fair. I wasn’t exactly sure how to get started. Now I am motivated to do well and hopefully move onto regionals,” sophomore Francisco Lam said.

In the past, many students from AHS have done well enough to move on to regionals.

“I’m super pumped to do well. I’m going to have a science fair party just to motivate my fellow scholars to try and achieve regionals and maybe if we can put our brains together hard enough we can make internationals,” junior Nolan Gilbert said.

International Science Fair is when kids compete from all over the world. Fenchel talked about how any student could achieve this if they tried their hardest and put a lot of work into it.

Creative projects are more likely to get noticed in a science fair. Some students even build machines. In science fair, students are allowed to work with a partner.

“Last year I worked with me friend James Barker and we ended up winning and going on to regionals.” Sophomore Noah Wolfenstein said.