Pumpkins in season as Halloween approaches

October is most known for bringing crisp air, changing leaves and pumpkins. One of the most common fall activities is the tradition of carving pumpkins with friends or family.

“I do it every year, and I have ever since I can remember,” sophomore Carly Potts said.

Most people love pumpkin carving because it’s an easy way to be creative and show off their artistic skills without a whole lot of effort.

“I’m not an artist, but nobody makes fun of my drawing when you’re trying to make a funny face!” Potts said.

Carving pumpkins is the perfect way to get people in to the seasonal mood.

Pumpkins can be purchased at many grocery stores such as Safeway or Giant. If your local store doesn’t have any, they are always available at seasonally-oriented farms. Once you have your pumpkin, start by cutting a hole in the top around the stem. Following the removal of the top, you should use a spoon to remove all of its contents. With a sharpie or dark marker, draw a face on your pumpkin and then carve the shapes out with a knife. You have the freedom to make any expression you desire.

Late at night when there isn’t any light, you can still show off your masterpiece by putting a lit candle in the center of your pumpkin. The light will shine out of the face you carved, causing a cool effect. This idea came from Ireland and was named the Jack-O-Lantern.

Since there is no need for any of the pumpkin to go to waste, you can get the family together again for another activity that everybody will appreciate…in the kitchen! The inside content of the pumpkin is the perfect ingredient for many treats, and it beats what comes out of the can.

“My mom doesn’t particularly like cooking, but she gets in the spirit during this time of the year,” freshman Rachel McDermmott said.

Classics that are sure to please include pumpkin pie, pumpkin pudding, pumpkin pound cake or pumpkin milkshakes and ice-cream. All the recipes are simple and give you something to do either on your own, or with other people.

Pumpkins remain a rich part of American culture, and will always hold a place in our fall rituals. These customs are not only popular in the United States, but also in countries around the world. Each season comes with its own attractions, and this is one that nobody should miss out on.