Update: Power outage changes IB exam and class schedules

An impromptu electricity outage caused many classes to be enclosed in darkness during C lunch this morning around 11:45 a.m. Generators started to give electricity to parts of the school to treat part of this area wide outage. The outage was caused by severe thunderstorms in the Northern Virginia area which ended around 12:15 p.m.

Though the storms have died down, many classrooms around school are still out of power. The hallways most affected are the ones downstairs, such as the science and math hallways. Principal Vincent Randazzo made an announcement to the school telling all classes still out of power to revert to an area (such as the cafeteria or another classroom) with power, for the power outage should remain unresolved until the end of the school day.

The IB exam for IB Geography Paper 1 has been postponed until Monday May 7 due to the blackout in part of the school. Both Paper 1 and 2 must be completed before 12 p.m.

“The transformer was hit,” security specialist Chris Tippins said. Other administrators are declining to comment at this time.

Check back with The A-Blast for more details about this area wide outage.

3:38 p.m.  Power was restored to the school around 12:30 p.m. this afternoon. The IB exam for IB Geography Paper 1 is still postponed until Monday May 7 and both Paper 1 and 2 must be completed by 12 p.m.