Band begins auditions for next year’s positions

Sophomore Daniel Hunt practiced on a bench with other students dressed up and ready to impress the judges outside the band room on May 8, but Hunt was wary of those other musicians around him; they were some of the hundreds he had to compete against for a coveted position in one of four AHS bands.

“It’s tough and I have practiced for days but I know I am going to get into jazz,” Hunt said.

Students from all band levels and classes waited anxiously for their turn to impress the judge, band teacher Andrew Loft, and prove that they are worthy for a higher level. They are graded by notes, accuracy, precision, timing, and artistry. All of these components help form the award winning bands that make AHS proud.

“I have been playing trumpet it for years but I think since I have not been in high school or many competitions that may hold me back and make me seem inexperienced,” freshman Sara Inglet said.

Many players were nervous and sat anxiously re-reading music and shining their instruments before their time.

“I am so nervous! I did this last year but you never know what kind of talent can arise from the freshman class,” junior Farrah Jonas said.

Loft is the director of the band department who runs the Marching Atoms, the Jazz Ensemble, and all Concert bands. Loft has aided the band in their many victories and awards throughout the year and plans to lead this new ensemble and bands into the same path.