AHS welcomes new faculty

Before the first day of school, the sight of confused figures trying to find classrooms and learn new names is already apparent once again. The 2012-2013 school year brings about 14 new faculty members to the AHS staff. Although they come from different backgrounds, they all note the welcoming sense of community from the other staff members.

“My first impression of AHS was that it was very red,” orchestra director Angela Ammerman said. “But in terms of the community, everyone has been very kind and friendly. Ms. Harmony has come down twice to introduce me to a few teachers, and Mr. Kerns also stopped by to introduce me to people.” Ammerman is a military spouse from Cincinnati, Ohio that has lived in Virginia and North Carolina before settling down in Annandale.

English teacher Megan Jarrell is no stranger to the FCPS system. She went to Lake Braddock HS and played field hockey for Davidson College. Jarrell now coaches varsity field hockey at Woodson HS.

“Since I went to Lake Braddock, I knew good things about AHS before I came here,” Jarrell said. “But I was surprised that there was so much school spirit. I also really love that AHS has a big community and isn’t just where students have to come to school. Everyone is really friendly and fun, sometimes I feel like I’m on the set of Grease.”

Business teacher Matthew Behne also came to AHS with experience in the FCPS structure. Behne was a marketing teacher at Fairfax HS before being hired as the new basketball coach.“[The welcoming] has been amazing,” Behne said. “Mr. Randazzo and Mr. Kerns have been helpful and visible, they are always asking if you have any questions or need anything. Other teachers have also helped me find my way around the school because this building is very confusing.”

During the weeks before school starts, teachers spend a lot of time in meetings and workshops where they learn about things such as grading, internet programs, Atom Time and W4.

“All of the orientation and lunches that the school has been providing for us have helped me feel welcome, as well as the fact that they are very approachable,” math teacher Casey Thompson said. “The staff here has been very welcoming and friendly; everyone here is always smiling.”

Great Beginnings is a program set up by FCPS to help new faculty members adjust to the school system with hopes of creating quality teachers that will contribute to student achievement. Teachers are paired with other new faculty members in the county and are also given mentors to give them guidance through starting their first year.

“I was assigned two English teacher coaches, and it was cool because Ms. Mathis was one of them,” Jarrell said. “You are also paired up with all of the other new teachers so you become close.”

New teachers also depend on their fellow department teachers for help in getting acquainted with AHS.

“Because [band director] Adam Hilkert and I are new, we’ve been relying on other performing arts teachers like Mr. Kee, Ms. Irish and Mr. Bennett to help us adjust,” Ammerman said.

“Ms. Graham helped me arrange my room, which is way more difficult than it looks, and Ms. Mathis helped me by giving me supplies and posters,” Jarrell said. “You’re really starting from scratch as a new teacher.”

Despite being a coach for another high school, Jarrell hopes to become involved at clubs and activities at AHS as well.

“I’d be open to being involved with pretty much anything at AHS, except band or cheer because I know pretty much nothing about those areas,” Jarrell said.

Behne hopes to become familiar with the IB program by the end of the year.

“I need to adjust to it in order to give students the ability to succeed,” Behne said. “I want to be able to build lasting relationships with my students as a mentor.”