SSHS welcomes new and returning members

Senior president Jenny Jessen introduces the officers of the club.

The Social Studies Honor Society (SSHS) held its annual induction ceremony on Thursday in Clausen Hall. Forty-seven new inductees were initiated, and nineteen returning seniors were recognized for their continued commitment.

The ceremony began with an opening address from Principal Vincent Randazzo followed by introductions of this year’s officers. Seniors starting their second year with SSHS were then recognized and presented a flower for their continued dedication. Inductees then received their certificates, during which members of the history department read each inductee’s favorite historical figure. The ceremony concluded with a closing speech given by senior co-secretary Abigail Palacios.

Membership numbers remained high following last year’s record amount of members. “We had the most number of members join last year,” sponsor Joel Jepson said. “If last year was number one, this year would be two.”

New members expressed their enthusiasm for SSHS and many noted that their interest in social studies helped motivate them to join.

“History is one of my favorite subjects to learn about and it [SSHS] looks good as an extracurricular activity,” junior Noah Wolfenstein said.

SSHS is making an additional effort this year, to integrate more community service especially in the Annandale community.

“I want us to be more involved in community service and with the local community, while increasing the stature of the honor society,” senior president Jenny Jessen said.

The SSHS has already begun its jeans drive, known as The Jean Scene, and will have other initiatives planned throughout the year.