IB diploma recipients honored at ceremony

AHS+alumni+Danielle+Turner+and+Carolyn+Hartley+of+the+Class+of+2012+proudly+hold+up+their+official+IB+diplomas.+
Photo courtesy of Kathie Turner
AHS alumni Danielle Turner and Carolyn Hartley of the Class of 2012 proudly hold up their official IB diplomas.

They were once IB diploma candidates, but today they officially became IB Diploma recipients. 21 of the 23 IB Diploma recipients in the class of 2012 were present at the ceremony to receive their diploma. The event took place during atom time on Jan. 3 in the auditorium. Many sophomores, juniors, and seniors attended the event to observe the proceeding and hear advice from graduates.

“Their speeches were motivating. They inspired me to take as many IB classes as possible and challenge myself,” said sophomore Yassmin Shamma.

Principal Vincent Randazzo gave a brief welcome speech commending the graduates and emphasizing the power of human creativity. Several teachers and administrators also gave brief remarks to congratulate the diploma recipients. The theory of knowledge teacher John Hawes referred to the recipients as “IB magicians” – creative thinkers who create new things that did not exist before.

“There were days when you came into my office and were like ‘I can’t do this.’ Well, you did it,” said IB DP Coordinator Shirley Campbell. Campbell played a supportive role in the lives of the graduates. She guided them through the extended essay, CAS hours, and was said to have a tissue box in her office at all times.

“The IB diploma taught me that grades are not everything. Learning and understanding is vastly more important than getting straight A’s,” said IB Diploma recipient and valedictorian of the class of 2012, Carolyn Hartley.

“It’s really easy to get stressed [during the IB diploma program], so it’s important to realize that even if you are stressed-out, things could be worse,” said IB diploma recipient Danielle Turner.

To end the ceremony, the IB diploma recipients were awarded with their diplomas as they walked on stage and shook hands with Principal Randazzo.

“I’m proud of them because they’ve learned how to be relentless,” said Extended Essay Coordinator Mary Ann Richardson. “That is the key to changing the world in a positive direction.”