Winter athletes honored at banquet with awards

Tiffany Huynh
The girl’s varsity basketball team poses at the banquet.

Before AHS welcomes in the warmer springtime air, the school took the opportunity to honor and recognize the athletes who competed throughout the cold winter season.

On Thursday Feb. 28, AHS held its annual winter sports banquet. The AHS basketball, indoor track, dance, gymnastics, swim and dive and wrestling teams all attended this event. Every athlete and coach was asked to dress up to celebrate the end of their seasons.

The evening started off with students enjoying food from the buffet in the cafeteria and chatting with friends and teammates. Each student was tasked with bringing either a side dish, a main dish or a dessert to share with everyone. Following the dinner, the students headed over to the auditorium to receive leadership awards for each sport.

“The banquet wasn’t as good as it was last year, but it was chill,” sophomore basketball player Umaru Tarawalie said. “The special thing about the banquet this year was that I got the same Atomic Atom Award again this year, except my name was spelled wrong.”

After the short ceremony, each sports team split up to hold their individual award ceremony. During the ceremony, coaches got to acknowledge and honor the athletes, reflect on the season and share memories with each other. The athletes got to receive their awards, reflect on their seasons and thank their coaches.

“The banquet was fun and thoughtful,” sophomore swimmer Rachael Allshouse said. “It brought back a lot of good memories from the season and I’ll miss my teammates who are graduating this year.”

The winter banquet ended the winter sports season on a good note and acted as a good transition to the spring season.

“I think the banquet was a great way to end the season and hang out with other people on the team although it can be long,” freshman track athlete Esther Kim said. “My favorite part of the night was talking with my teammates. Everyone was laughing at the comments the coaches made while handing the athletic awards, which made it even more funny and personal.”