Juniors face changes on English SOL’s

Nuhami Mandefro
Junior Maylat Eyob takes practice SOL tests to prepare herself for the Writing SOL.

This week, juniors have been frantically practicing the English SOL. With a few changes made to the test this year, teachers have been preparing their students for this exam since the beginning of the year.

The Writing SOL started March 4 and will continue until mid-April. The English SOL is much more complex than the other SOLs in terms of sections. It consists of two tests: the multiple choice portion and a persuasive essay. Juniors will also have to take a Reading SOL this May, which is all multiple choice. Students have an unlimited amount of time on the tests so they can relax and do their best.

“The English SOL is new this year,”English teacher Stephanie Long said. “It is completed entirely on the computer.” There have been several technology enhanced questions added to the test as a result. These questions vary but contain drag and drop type of questions as well as multiple response.

Students will only receive full credit for a correct answer. The persuasive essay portion will also be typed online. The Writing SOL used to take up two days, but has been stretched out over a month so classes get enough time on the computer.

“All eleventh grade students have been given practice multiple choice and short paper exams,” Long said. “Most teachers have had to spend a good amount of time familiarizing their students with the new type of questions.” Teachers with SMART boards have been going through some warm-ups every day just so students can familiarize themselves with the technology enhanced questions.

The Atoms Writing Center (AWC) has spent the past few years helping students prepare for the SOL and many teachers have brought their students to it if they feel that they need any assistance.

“I took the multiple choice [test] Tuesday and I’m taking the writing part on Thursday,” junior Anasimos Mandefro said. “The test I took today wasn’t hard but there was a lot of reading and I don’t know what to expect on the writing test. My English teacher prepared my class by giving us different questions from previous SOLs, which helped a lot. “

Junior Kelsey Jones also isn’t worried about the SOL.

“I took the multiple choice Monday and I’m taking the writing part Wednesday,” Jones said. “The multiple choice part was really easy and I’m excited to get out of class on Wednesday. My teacher taught us how to use the program, but that was about it.”

“This test is much more challenging due to the technology enhanced questions and the more rigorous subject matter as a result of the 2010 SOL’s,” Long said. “I anticipate that our scores will not be as high as they usually are. The grammar is much harder this year and the expectations placed of the students are much higher. Hopefully, they will all do well.”