Slicing up schedules

Due to a series of redistrictings and relocations, starting next year the AHS population will begin to see a steady decline in its number of students; and with that decline in students comes another decline in the teachers that teach them. Over ten AHS teachers will not return next year.

But the decline in teachers has a much larger effect than just a loss in staff, it correlates directly with the classes offered next year.

“Our staff went down, our student population went down, from over 2400 this year, to being staffed at just below 2200 for next year, and so we have a proportionate amount of teachers versus the amount of students,” Principal Vincent Randazzo said.

Electives will take a large hit. Next year’s Drama department will only hold two classes for the year, down from five this year, and will only showcase one play for the year.

“I think it’s a bad thing. Theater and being involved in the arts helps with other academic classes and taking that away is going to affect a lot of people in negative ways,” sophomore Deanna Gowland said.

Many of the elective classes that students had signed up for next year will have to be reassessed, as some have already been cut.

Annandale prides itself in its electives that have come to be as diverse as its student body, ranging from IB Anthropology, to Gourmet Foods and even to Sports and Fashion Marketing. But with the shortage of teachers comes an inevitable shortage of variety in classes.

Classes such as IB Psychology and the newly added Broadcast Journalism will not be available to students next year, and so it seems variety is at a loss.

“I don’t think any electives should be cut because electives give students a chance to explore their interests,” junior Kaitleigh Fetterman said.

But, the students won’t be the only ones to feel the strain.

“Some teachers will probably go part time. Some teachers will probably work one day here, one day at another school. To fill out two half time positions, that’ll be a full-time position for them. There’s a possibility that may happen,” Principal Randazzo said.

With the recent addition of a mandatory Economics class set in place for the Class of 2015 and under, electives seem to become incessantly limited. With a reduced staff, larger classroom sizes, and smaller electives, many are wondering what this means for AHS students, and the school’s reputation overall.

“I feel like its ridiculous. It’s the only thing I’m excited about coming to school for,” freshman Yocias Fekade said.

As Annandale begins to feel the effects of the infamous Wakefield Chapel redistricting, many nonetheless are once again beginning to question if this is the first of many changes to come to AHS due to the decision.

“Any time you lose teachers it’s not a great thing. And the teachers that are leaving our building are all very good, great teachers, who have had significant positive impact on our school, on our students [and] the community, so they will be sorely missed,”  Randazzo said. “On the other side of the coin, we have a great body of teachers here . . . Annandale teachers are responsible for our students and broadening their vision and their minds and prodding and pushing them to do better. . . And that’s the thing you’ve got to remember. . . Right when we walked in, your teacher is vested in your community.”