Six steps to prepare for spring sports

Jay+Pendarvis+%28Left%29+and+Tarik+Darwiesh+%28Right%29+stretch+in+order+to+prepare+for+a+run+during+a+Green+Day+for+track.+

Six steps to prepare for spring sports

Jay Pendarvis (Left) and Tarik Darwiesh (Right) stretch in order to prepare for a run during a Green Day for track.

Katie Pope

Katie Pope

Katie Pope

Jude Nanaw and Ethan Zimmerman

With the winter sports season over half-way through, the time has come to begin to prepare for spring sports. Most tryouts for spring sports including outdoor track, softball, baseball, lacrosse, soccer and tennis will hold tryouts in the beginning of the next month. Below are tips and steps to take to ensure preperation for any spring sport.

1 COMPLETE PHYSICAL EXAMINATION
If you have already submitted a physical examination form for a different sport this school year, then you will not need to submit one again. However, if you have not yet done so, the physical form can be found online and must be filled out.

2 COMPLETE CONCUSSION EDUCATION In addition to completing a yearly physical to participate in sports, it is imperative to complete concussion education online. Doing so will allow student-athletes and parents to know which steps and protocol to take if a concussion does occur at practice or during a game.

3 ACQUIRE EQUIPMENT REQUIRED FOR YOUR SPORT While some equipment such as uniforms and helmets are typically provided by the school for some sports, not all equipment is. Things such as lacrosse sticks, baseball bats, tennis rackets and proper footwear all must be acquired prior to tryouts.

4 ATTEND GREEN DAYS
Before attending tryouts for a sport, it is essential to shake off rust beforehand in order to be prepared. One way to do this is to attend the Green Days for the sport you intend on trying out for. Not only is this an opportunity to get into physical shape, but it is also an opportunity to meet coaches and teammates.

5 START CONDITIONING
Along with attending Green Days, it is recommended to also begin to condition and prepare your body physically. This can be accomplished through completing a series of workouts individually as well as completing workouts related to your sport. Along with conditioning it is essential to maintain a healthy diet leading up to try-outs and throughout the season. This includes remaining hydrated.

6 MARK TRY-OUT DATES ON YOUR CALENDAR
With the completion of forms and acquiring of necessary equipment, it is extremely important to take note of the try-out dates for your sport and also take note of the time and location.

About the Contributors
Jude Nanaw, Co-Editor in Chief

Senior Jude Nanaw is the current Co-Editor in Chief of The A-Blast. He has been on staff for four years where in previous years he has held the positions...

Ethan Zimmerman, Circulation Manager

Ethan Zimmerman is on his third year on The A-Blast. He is currently the Distribution Manager and was previously the Sports Editor. He plays baseball...

Katie Pope, Weekend Editor

Senior Katie Pope is the weekend editor of the A-Blast and this is her third year on staff. She was previously a staff writer, photographer, and photo...