Track wins championship

The entire track, field and stands at W.T. Woodson HS falls silent as the PA announcer begins to announce the final positions of each school in the Patriot District Championship Meet. As each team is called, smirks of anticipation creep over AHS athletes. The announcer is barely audible over the wild cheers of the school’s track and field athletes. Most are jumping up and down, others are dancing, and some have already begun the victory lap. The team is overcome with exhilaration and joy for yet another Patriot District Championship.

The AHS outdoor track and field team competed in the Patriot District Championships on May 11 and 12, and came home as Patriot District Champions.

The meet consisted of two days, with the track and field events spread out over the two (a change from previous years).

The team’s top performers included senior All-American JP Jenkins, who ran a nation-leading time of 13.87 seconds in the 110 meter hurdles, a new Patriot District meet record, and also contributed to the district championship 4×400 meter relay. Senior Josh Jean-Jacques also scored many needed points for the team placing second in the high jump, second in the 200 meter dash and taking part in the district championship 4×100 meter relay team. Junior All-American Ahmed Bile also played a large role in the victory, with first place victories in the 800 meter run, 1600 meter run and a fast split on the district championship 4×400 meter relay team.

“I just did what I needed to do to get points for the team and the district championship,” Bile said. “I’m going to do the same thing for regionals, we’re coming for South Lakes.”

Senior Joel Hoisington scored points for the team in the field by winning the district championship in the shotput for the fourth straight season and placing in the discus throw, and senior Roland Andoh also contributed greatly with a district championship in the 200 meter dash, as well as a second place finish in the 100 meter dash.

“The team did what we expected to do, and we expect nothing less than a win for regionals,” Jenkins said.

“I think they performed even better than I thought they would,” long distance coach Dave O’Hara said. “A lot of guys did what they expected to do, and a lot of the others stepped up and did better.”

Out of the four years that Sean Miller has resided as head coach of track and field, this district championship meet has had the most AHS athletes advance to regionals, and therefore the most competitive AHS has been at regionals, in a very long time.

Miller has transformed the program since taking over as head coach of track four years ago, and along with some help, has brought the program from placing at the bottom of the district year after year, to being on the verge of winning the Northern Region Championship.

This District Championship is not the first for the AHS track team under Miller, being the fourth title they have received in the last four years, one of which was earlier this year during the outdoor season. They have high hopes for the Northern Region Championships, especially after last year’s narrow loss by only one point. Now, the rest of the competition in the Northern Region has reason to fear.

If they succeed in securing the Northern Region Championship, they will be the first track team in over 25 years to do so. If they can get the same effort from their athletes as they did in the district meet, it is certainly an attainable goal.