College profile: Virginia Polytechnic Institute

Virginia+Tech+is+a+very+popular+school+for+AHS+students.+
http://dailycaller.com/2011/08/04/virginia-tech-reports-gunman-on-campus-tells-students-staff-to-stay-inside-and-secure-doors/
Virginia Tech is a very popular school for AHS students.

Location: Blacksburg, Virginia

In-State Tuition: $11,100

Out-of-State Tuition: $24,560

Application Deadline: January 15

Virginia Tech, formerly known as the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute was founded in 1872 and is located Blacksburg, Virginia. Virginia Tech’s campus is 2,600 acres and is in a rural area. There are a total of 23,690 undergraduate students enrolled.

Virginia Tech is mainly a school for the sciences and has a strong graduate program for engineering. It also has an excellent research program with 6 facilities for both graduates and undergraduates. Furthermore, Virginia Tech has an amazing lab called the math emporium which has more than 500 macs, offers tutoring, and even classes sometimes.

Virginia Tech is located in an average college town surrounded by a very rural area since it is on the top of a mountain. The Hokies, are a Division 1 school and their mascot is a Hokie Bird. Football

games become the center of attention on campus as the team is often very successful. Greek Life is very popular and in total there are 65 sororities and fraternities. There are also over 600 clubs that students can join. Intramural sports are also popular on campus. Virginia Tech is known for their excellent food services including a West End Market where you can order lobster and steak. Freshmen are required to live on campus.

The student to faculty ratio is 17:1. Male students take up 57.8% of the population, leaving the remainder 42.2% to be the female students.

This school is right for you if….

You love college football

You want a big school with lots of spirit

You want a good engineering, architecture or agriculture program

You want a school with good food

Source used: U.S. News: Education: Colleges