Field hockey defeats Madison HS

Field+hockey+defeats+Madison+HS+

Varsity field hockey defeated the Madison Warhawks last night in a devastating match on Annandale’s field. The Atoms have only lost three games this season, making them 6-3. The attitude among the teammates is more than positive.

“I think the team worked to have a lot of fun together,” senior Shannon Casey said. “That’s what made us successful.”

The game was won 2-0, with goals scored by sophomore Jenny McCann and Casey, a forward. Casey has scored the most goals this season with the competitive number of 7.

On McCann and Casey’s performances last night, their teammates think it was more than just skill that won the game.

“[Casey and McCann] had really good communication and I think that’s how they scored goals,” Paige Britton, senior, said.

With as many as 19 players on the team including ten seniors, McCann is sticking out as a rising star. McCann, only a sophomore, has already scored 6 goals–27 percent of the team’s total goals this season.

More than half of the varsity team are seniors, including Britton, who has never played field hockey before.

“I played my best and I think I‘ve been improving,” Britton, also a forward and defensive player.

Varsity field hockey won their pool in the Under the Lights tournament in addition to winning the Sportsmanship award August 24-25. They move forward this season expecting many more great wins.