Senior gets Lacrosse scholarship

Senior Paige Britton signed her national letter of intent to play lacrosse for Liberty University today. Paige Britton has played on the girls varsity lacrosse team for three years. Family members, friends, administrators and girls lacrosse coach Cindy Hook gathered to witness the occasion.

Liberty University is the largest Christian school in the world, with an excellent program for students interested in studying psychology, and is also known for its Division I athletic program. It was love at first sight for Britton when she visited her sophomore year of high school. After meeting the team and coach, Paige Britton decided she wanted to be a part of the team. She verbally committed by the end of her sophomore year, and has officially committed since May of this year.

Lacrosse was a big deciding factor in her decision to choose Liberty.

“I am excited to become part of the Liberty lacrosse team; it is an honor,” Paige Britton said. “The team is very open and we all care for each other on and off the field.” Britton says the coaches are “extremely encouraging and keep the team and I very motivated.” For Paige Britton, the Christian influences are what make Liberty a perfect school for her, because it can keep her close to her faith while also giving her the full college experience.
“Everybody at Liberty is very close and we will all help each other to become better people,” Paige Britton said. Paige Britton has been playing lacrosse since she was a toddler and immediately fell in love with the sport.

Her family has always been behind her in her lacrosse dreams, especially since it has always  run in the family. The entire Britton family, branching from brothers and sisters, to cousins and uncles, have all been involved in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes’ lacrosse program for years. Her uncle, Dan Britton, is the head of the FCA lacrosse branch in Kansas City, and travels to camps and clinics frequently to promote the Christian faith and the sport of lacrosse.
Amongst having a very involved family, she also recently experienced having her brother Tyler leave for college, an AHS graduate of 2011. Tyler Britton is currently attending the Savannah College of Art and Design. The Britton family expressed that having a child leave for college is a saddening experience, but are extremely proud of Paige for her accomplishments.
In addition to her brother, sister freshman Ashley Britton is going to have a tough time adjusting to life without her older sister.

“We are extremely close and it is going to be weird not having Paige around all the time,” Ashley Britton said. Ashley, who is also an experienced lacrosse player, has also expressed interest in following in her sister’s footsteps, but is still unsure if this is the path she wants to follow. “I do think it’s a good school but it is still too early to know if that is where I want to go.”