Q&A with track coach Dave O’Hara

What is your next meet?

We’re running at the Southern Maryland Indoor Classic this Saturday. It’s taking place at the Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex near Fed-Ex Field. The meet starts at 9:30 in the morning and runs all day.

Who is running in the meet?

We have our top varsity runners competing. Seniors Alex Ellison and Austin Chavez are competing in the 55 meter and 300 meter sprints respectively. We also have a girls 4×2 team that is state material, including runners Rowan Shartel, Isatu Koroma, Katherine Ross and Leah Bowie. Distance runners Aviad Gebrehiwot and Draven Pike will also be competing in the one mile race.

What teams are you competing against?

There are 75 teams from different schools throughout Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia competing against AHS at this meet.

How have you been preparing?

The team has worked really hard throughout the winter, not letting up on their workouts at all. If anything they’ve worked harder, adding more workouts and weightlifting to the routine.

What is the hardest part of this meet?

For all athletes the hardest part is preparing yourself. With long breaks in between races, the athletes have to maintain there focus and not get off track.

What are your expectations for this race?

This race doesn’t have much of an impact on the season, but I am hoping to see some state auto-qualifiers from a few of the runners. If they get fast enough times, then no matter what happens during the rest of the season, they make it into states.