Green Days prove helpful

Jarod Golub
Freshman Grant Thompson lifts weights at one of the baseball green days.

With spring sports tryouts beginning Feb. 18, coaches have begun to  think about their rosters, as well as when they are going to get their players back into shape. Lucky for them, some players have been practicing all winter.

Athletes have been going to workouts known as “green days” for each of their sport. These green days enable players to condition and workout for their sport even when it is not in season.

“The green days enable coaches to work with players in small groups to enhance sport specific skills,” Director of Student Activities Karl Kerns said.

The green days are beneficial to the athletes as they have the opportunity to practice with other players before teams are formed.

“I think the workouts really help us get stronger for the sport season,” senior baseball player David Paik said.

The green day system can make it difficult for three-peat athletes to participate in them due to conflicts with practices or games.

“I push for three season athletes,” Kerns said. “While the green days are helpful, student-athletes should be able to participate in more than one sport.

The green days, which have been going on since November, are coming to a close with the start of the spring sport season.

Many athletes see the green days as beneficial to their chances of making the spring sport that they want to play.

“The green days were really helpful; we worked on strength a lot, and now I feel as if I’m ready to start playing right away,” Paik said.

Although coaches aren’t allowed to make decisions based on performance or attendance at green days,  athletes can benefit from instructional time with their coaches. It also gives new players a chance to meet the coaches and become comfortable with their coaching style before trying out.

Some sports, such as girls soccer, did not have green days organized by their coach. The athletes chose to adjust to this by organizing their own practices with past and potential teammates.

“We thought it would be a good idea to have these and meet new girls while getting used to playing together again,” senior Connie Tran said. “It helped because it made us get used to playing soccer again.”