Tebow Act reaches VA

Equality. That is what is at stake with the “Tim Tebow Act,” HR 947. The bill would allow home schooled students in the state of Virginia to play on their local public high school teams.

The Tebow Act is based on a Florida legislation of the same nature. It is named after NFL quarterback Tim Tebow, who was home schooled before playing for the University of Florida. The bill passed in the Virginia House of Delegates on February 8 by a vote of 59-39. However, the bill had not yet passed in the Virginia state senate as of Feb. 11.

There are two sides to this argument; on one hand, it gives home schooled students a chance to participate in inter-school athletics. But the question at hand is whether or not the bill takes away opportunities from students actually attending those schools.

“My colleagues and I in the Northern Region are opposed to the bill based on the fact that our students have a procedure that they follow at public schools,” Director of Student Activities Karl Kearns, said.

The DSA’s across the Northern Region are opposed to the bill on the assumption that home schooling is less rigorous than public schooling.

“Our students are here everyday, all day, and they have certain requirements that they must meet in order to be eligible to play for our sports teams,” Kearns said.

Despite arguments over the bill Governor of Virginia Bob McDonnell has been quoted saying that he “strongly supports the bill.” If the Tebow Act passes in the VA senate, it can be assumed that McDonnell will sign off on it.