Winter Sports Banquet celebrates success

Spring is finally here and winter sports have come to a close, each team with a remarkable season. To celebrate each winter team’s accomplishments, AHS held the annual Winter Sports Banquet on Wednesday, March 3. At the banquet, winter athletes enjoyed a potluck with fellow teammates and then proceeded to a gathering with their coaches to talk about the season and receive any earned awards.

These awards include the 3.5 or higher Grade Point Average award, Atomic Achievement Award for athletes displaying outstanding character and varsity letters and stars for athletes who participated on the varsity level.

The winter banquet was a mandatory event athletes were required to attend, but many of them enjoyed it and look forward to the night as a chance to be reunited with their team.

“[I’m] excited to dress up and get back together with my team,” said sophomore track athlete Ashlyn Nisker.

Others were eager to receive recognition for varsity achievements.

“I am so proud of how far we went this year and I can’t wait to get my [varsity] star,” said sophomore Ahmed Bile, who placed tenth in States for varsity boys track.

Each sport had its own unique individual ceremony when the ceremony broke into groups by team. Junior and varsity swimmer Katie Panther said she looks forward this team gathering at the banquet each year.

“We watch a video each year of memories ad achievements of the team throughout the season, and everybody loves it because it reminds us of the fun we had.” Panther and the swim and dive team advanced to Regionals, with some boys progressing to States.

The banquet was very successful and each participant seemed to enjoy it. After a season of hard work, athletes had earned their coaches’ accolades, awards and recognition for their achievements.