Have a bite of this

Take a stroll down the main drag of Old Town Fairfax and you will most likely notice the large town hall, the old courthouse building, a bakery and several office-buildings, but unfortunately you will most likely miss the small Greek and Italian-style restaurant that is called Havabite Eatery; yes, as in Hav-a-bite.

As you enter this family-owned restaurant, the staff will greet you with a smile that is often too rare in this world of efficiency and indifference, and tell you that any table that is open is yours.

There is usually only one waiter on duty, but another ready to spring into action should the restaurant become crowded. Inside, with a room that fits no more than forty, the noise level is kept to a minimum.

In fact, on a nice day, there is an outside patio where you can sit and dine in the open air, reminiscent of the European restaurants after which the Eatery is modeled.

The usual crowd contains lawyers and officials on lunch breaks from the courthouse, students from nearby George Mason University and, of course, passers-by attracted to the restaurant’s atmosphere.

Once you sit down, you will notice the sparsely decorated room and the outdated booths; however, the most important thing — the food — smells wonderful.

Although a small Greek and Italian restaurant, the menu offers a smorgasbord of European, along with American, cuisine.

Havabite has many great entrees such as various pastas and appetizers; however, its two specialties, pizza and gyros, stand out.

I happened to order a small 9” white pizza with gyro meat, which is more than enough for one sitting and cost only $6.40. This great price is worth the meal. The pizza was melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

We also ordered the gyro sandwich for $6.50 and a highly recommended plate of fries to share for $1.95. For this hearty lunch we spent $18.10, which included the heavy Town of Fairfax restaurant tax.

For dessert, you can get a plate of homemade baklava, a bowl of rice pudding, or one of their various specialty cakes.

Havabite also offers delicious entrees such as an amazing chicken parmesan, baked lasagna, shish kabob and, of course, the classic bowl of spaghetti and meatballs.

For a group of two, this great lunch or dinner spot is the perfect place to spend under $20 for the perfect homemade-style meal.