Students lament lost holiday

If you picked up a newspaper and took a look at the back page of The Washington Post’s  Metro section on Feb. 21, you saw the chart at the bottom of page B4 stating what will be closed for our 2011 Presidents Day. As your eyes wandered to the school closings section, you read across the chart to see that all schools in D.C., Maryland, and Virginia are closed for the holiday – except the schools in our own Fairfax County.

Last week, it was announced by our principal John Ponton that this week would indeed have two red days back-to-back. Students at AHS had bittersweet feelings about the double red days. “I say we do it every week! I have IB photography and IB film on red days,”junior Adeeba Rasoli said. As an underclassmen, freshman Jazmine Gomez said “I kind of like my red day classes, so it is okay.”

This double red day was caused by the extra snow day we had in January. Fairfax County allows up to three snow days until students have to start making school days up. During these snow days, there were already rumors about our Presidents Day three-day weekend being taken away. As students expected, school was held on the federal holiday

Other students disliked the fact that they had to attend the same classes two days in a row. “It sucks! I have all my boring classes on red days,” sophomore Christian Wong said. “On top of that, the weather sucks today.”

Some students enjoyed not having Flex. “I think it is pretty chill because I have my easy classes on red days. Also, I do not have to worry about knowing what FLEX is,” senior Daniel Colabro said.

Students at AHS hope for more snow tonight after our warm weekend to get rid of the double red days. “If it snows tonight and we do not have school tomorrow, then everything will go back to normal. We wont have to worry about another red day,” junior Ashley Parada said.