Students celebrate Memorial Day

On May 30, most working adults and students are given the day off for Memorial Day. Memorial Day is the day to remember fallen soldiers that served and protected our country. Many don’t know the meaning of the day; for them it’s just another day off from school or work. Most people have forgotten about the dedicated soldiers that risked their lives to defend our country — to many it’s just the day the pool officially opens.
“[Many students] are not directly related to the holiday,” sophomore Clare Lazar said. “Nothing really special happens.”

In 1971, Memorial Day was declared an official holiday. During the first national celebration, General James Abram Garfield, also known as the 20th president of the U.S., made a speech at Arlington’s National cemetery. Ever since General Garfield made his speech, it has been a tradition to go to the Arlington National Cemetery. Every year about 5,000 people attend the ceremony.

“We don’t learn about it in school,” junior Susie Sowa said.

Gary Sinise (CSI: New York’s Mac Taylor) and Joe Mantegna (Criminal Minds David Rossi) have hosted the National Memorial Day Concert five times, and on May 29 2011 they hosted their sixth Memorial Day Concert. Both Sinise and Mantegna are active supporters of the troops and veterans. The concert was live on PBS and AFN (American Forces Network). Many people performed or spoke during the concert, including General Colin L. Powell, Kris Allen, DianneWiest, B.B King, Hayley Westenra, Forest Whitaker, Jason Ritter, Pia Toscano, A.J Cook.

Many students went on trips with their families for the three-day weekend. “I was in Shenandoah with my parents,” Susie Sowa said.

Head to PBS.org and type in your zip code if you want to know if your local PBS channel is going to re-air the National Memorial Day Concert.

http://www.pbs.org/memorialdayconcert/