IB Diploma candidates have final CAS meeting

The last formal CAS meetings are beginning to be held for the 2012 IB Diploma candidates and the pressure is setting in. Sponsor and ESOL teacher Kimberly Sisskind held a meeting on Feb. 13 to notify students about the status of their progress so that they can prepare to complete the program.

CAS stands for community, action and service and was created to help IB Diploma candidates balance out their extra-curricular activities and stay organized. The program sets out to make sure that students are not just taking difficult classes, but that they are also making efforts to help their community and stay healthy. Students need to have activities that meet all three of the categories and post summaries, reflections and evidence of their participation.

Some students feel that the program adds another layer of stress to getting the diploma.

“I feel the pressure of the world on on my shoulders,” senior Bernard Chalhub said. “Sometimes I have a lot of homework so I don’t have time.”

The students should soon finish updating their portfolios so that they can schedule their routine exit interviews with Sisskind. She held the meeting to make sure students were on track to complete the program.

“Many of the candidates face time management issues. They either wait until the last minute to update their portfolios or update the night before,” Sisskind said.

Some of the students agree that they wait until the last minute, because of their strenuous course-load.

“My progress looks okay so far, but it probably could be better,” senior Zulay Huma said.