Restaurant review: ShopHouse

There are very few students at Annandale who do not relish the thought of a trip to Chipotle, the tex-mex miracle that offers fast food of high quality. As addicting as it is, though, Chipotle can sometimes get a little old. Luckily, a new chain is helping to fix that. ShopHouse, an Asian-style fast food restaurant owned and operated by Chipotle, is the company’s answer to the demand for something different yet still as satisfying as the original.

The restaurant’s website explains that inspiration for this “Southeast Asian kitchen” came from traditional rice and noodle bowl shops in cities such as Bangkok and Hanoi. Chipotle has added their own spin to this by offering only “bowls” which are a combination of the original elements of an Asian restaurant and the familiar choose-your-own-filling process that made Chipotle so popular.

When I stepped into ShopHouse, which was literally a few feet from the Dupont Circle Metro station, I was engulfed by the smells of spicy sauces, grilling meat and fresh seasonings. I stood in a line that was long but moved quickly (similar to Chipotle), and the simple menu led me through the steps. The staff was efficient but also very helpful in explaining all the ingredients and add-ins to newcomers. I chose jasmine rice as my base, though noodles were also an option. There were a variety of meats like steak, pork and tofu, but I chose chicken satay. I then added broccoli, green beans, charred corn and some green papaya slaw as my veggies. For garnish, I opted for a dusting of crushed peanuts. There are three sauces to choose from here, including: tamarind vinaigrette, spicy red curry, and green curry; I chose the green curry, which was slightly spicy.

My bowl was delicious, bursting with a unique Asian flavor that I had custom-designed. It was reminiscent of a Chipotle burrito bowl in terms of texture and style, but was slightly smaller of a portion. I definitely loved the food though, and I encourage anyone who enjoys Chipotle or Asian food (or both) to give ShopHouse a try. It may be a slight trip to get there, but the Metro ride is straightforward and the shop is close to the station.

ShopHouse Southeast Asian Kitchen

1516 Connecticut Ave NW

Washington, DC 20036