Students react to the NFL Draft

UNC+quarterback+Mitchell+Trubisky+with+NFL+commissioner+Roger+Goodell+following+being+selected+by+the+Chicago+Bears+second+overall.+
UNC quarterback Mitchell Trubisky with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell following being selected by the Chicago Bears second overall.

USA Today

USA Today

Jude Nanaw, Sports X-tra Editor

The NFL Draft, the most popular National Football League event outside of the season took place from April 27 to April 29.  

All 32 teams made selections throughout the seven rounds of the draft to bring on brand-new players coming out of college to be apart of their team’s roster come the  2017-2018 regular season.

Students reacted to the highly anticipated event and each dramatic selection and trades that took place on draft night.

The first overall pick of the night belonged to the Cleveland Browns who finished with the worst record in the NFL last season at 1-15. The team, not surprisingly, selected defensive end out of Texas A&M, Myles Garrett.

“With all the different mock drafts from before it wasn’t surprising that Garrett was taken first,” sophomore Muaz Nasher said. “He’s a physical freak of nature that will probably dominate for years.”

Along with the more obvious selections from the draft were also surprising slips of players projected to be drafted early not be taken until late. This results in teams with picks late in the rounds being able to steal an extremely athletic and talented player.

“I think Reuben Foster from Alabama was the biggest steal in the draft because most thought he’d be taken somewhere in the top 10 picks but he fell all the way to 31,” Nasher said.

The most surprising move of the draft came only at the second pick where the Chicago Bears traded up to select UNC quarterback Mitchell Trubisky. The move to give up three other draft picks to draft the quarterback came as a shock as the team recently signed former Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Mike Glennon to a $45 million deal.

“I think that the bears gave up way too much for Trubisky especially since he really hasn’t proven himself,” sophomore Kyle Dalsimer said.

Students also reflected on which teams had the best overall draft and which players they think will be the most productive next season.

“I think the Redskins had the best overall draft and best selections because they picked up players in the team’s positions of need,” Dalsimer said. “My favorite pick was the Redskins drafting Jonathan Allen at 17 because it was great value for a great player.”

Despite the high hopes and expectations of many of the prospects selected in the draft, success in college has proven to not always translate to the NFL. Only time will tell for those selected if they will be successful and productive at the next level.