Apple Announces New “Apple TV+” Set to Rival Netflix and Hulu

Dilan Yousif, Staff Writer

Apple’s new streaming service, Apple TV+, is a video subscription service that features original shows and movies. This new streaming service, exclusively on the Apple TV app, is set to come out this fall.

Apple has spent a lot of money in order to produce programming that can stand equal to Netflix’s best shows. Celebrities like Oprah Winfrey, Tim Cook, Hailee Steinfeld, Rashida Jones, Steve Carell, Reese Witherspoon and more are all on board.

Since viewers will have to pay, the service will be ad-free and Apple is planning on launching it in over 100 countries. Apple has yet to announce its pricing, but if the tech giant wants to beat its rivals with its streaming service, pricing will be key.

“I’m unsure about how I feel about Apple’s new streaming service,” senior Faris Vadakoot said. “I’ve used Amazon and Hulu before for watching my shows so I’m willing to check out Apple TV+.”

Oprah Winfrey has announced that she is working on two documentaries for the service, and Steven Spielberg said he is working on an “Amazing Stories” series. Kumail Nanjiani is working on a series called Little America, and Jason Momoa and Alfre Woodard announced they’re working on See.
More movies and documentaries from acclaimed filmmakers like JJ Abrams, Steven Spielberg, and M. Night Shyamalan will be featured on the service as well.

Rivals, such as Netflix or Amazon Prime Video, streams originals and licensed programming, whereas Apple TV+ will not be building a full streaming service like these providers.

In contrast to its rivals, Apple TV+ focuses exclusively on Apple’s own original programming. Apple has given no indication that you can be able to stream this service on Android, Windows, or web browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge.

“I hope that Apple chooses to make the service accessible on different browsers,” Vadakoot said. “I think it would just make the process a lot more simple as far as streaming goes.”

The Apple TV app is available on Apple TV set-top boxes and other devices iPhone, Mac, iPad, and iPod touch. It is also confirmed that Apple will bring TV app Samsung smart TV’s and TV’s from Vizio, Sony, LG, and more.

With the Apple TV Channels, viewers will be able to watch content directly inside the Apple TV app, which is very different from before where if you chose something to watch it directs you to third-party apps to actually stream it.

For example, if viewers chose an HBO show in the TV app, it would direct you to HBO Go or HBO Now. The Apple TV app does not cost money to use unless you’re using Apple TV+ or an Apple TV Channel subscription, however, neither are available yet.

“I’m pretty excited to try out Apple TV+ because it sounds like it will be convenient to use,” senior Ruth Seyoum said. “Also I’m looking forward to using it because it will be different from other streaming services.”

Apple announced it would also have original shows and movies similar to today’s common streaming services.

“I am really interested to see how Netflix and Hulu respond to this,” Vadakoot said. “This should hopefully start the race for best streaming service and lead them to get new shows people have been wanting for viewer satisfaction.”

About the Writer
Dilan Yousif, Staff Writer

Dilan Yousif is in her first year on the A-blast as a staff writer. In her free time she likes to watch Netflix, hang out with friends and family,...