Inking Inspiration: tattoos and trends

The history behind tattoos and what they mean for Americans today
How many Americans have tattoos according to a study done by the Pew Research Center in 2023.
Zoe Ligairi

Inking dates back to at least 5,300 years ago. Tattoos were identified on a frozen mummy dubbed “Ötzi the Iceman” found near the Italian-Austrian border in 1991, according to the Smithsonian Magazine.

They have told the stories of cultures worldwide ranging from the Ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, and Siberian nomads, to Indigenous Polynesians, Native South and North Americans, among others.

Tattoos have stayed around, carrying cultural significance but also developing into unique forms of expression for Americans throughout especially the last century. Among Americans, inked individuals include 32% of adults who have at least one tattoo and 22% who have more than one, according to a Pew Research Center survey.

Although tattoos have gained traction and popularity among younger generations in recent years, there has always been social stigma and stereotypes associated with this so-called rebellious decision due to its introduction in the United States by sailors, soldiers, and circus performers, according to Drops of Ink. The stigma grew once tattoos made their way into punk-rock culture, especially in the ’70s and ’80s, and has impacted many in the workforce overtime.

“I think as times have changed and just different philosophies and really it’s more about doing your job than necessarily how many tattoos you have or how many earrings you have,” said assistant principal Aaron Schneider.

Tattoos mean lots of different things to the people who get them and the history of them shows that.

“I think that it’s empowering and it’s a way to kind of tell your story without having to directly tell people, you can just see it,” said safety and security team member Janice Milian.

However, with “tattoo trends” on the rise, people who are looking to get inked should use these purely as inspiration and ensure they do not regret their permanent markings by following trends.

These trends are largely driven by social media, celebrities, cultural movements and the vision of the client and artist.

Byrdie says that the following are set to be trending in 2024: Cyber Sigilism, as an ode to our technological age, finger tattoos, floral tattoos, lower back tattoos or “tramp stamps,” animals and pets, abstract freehand, script and calligraphy. Allure is predicting that sticker sleeves will stay trending, realism and 2D styles will combine, and small impulsive tattoos remain popular throughout the year.

“Yes, I do want more tattoos. I am really into the dainty ones, like the Sticker sleeves,” said tenth grade English teacher Elizabeth Englund.

Many artists make sure their clients are not acting on impulsivity and have a long-term desire for their tattoos so they can be happy with their decision.

“You want to get it because it’s something that’s important, something that you like, and the idea is that it’s something that you’re most likely going to have for the rest of your life,” said assistant principal Aaron Schneider.

After all, it’s a decision for a lifetime.