Q&A with cosmetology student, senior Jacky Zepeda

The life of an academy student

Q: Why are you taking this class?
A: I want to be licensed and so I can build up my nail career that I want.

Q: How long have you been taking this class?
A: I started taking this class the beginning of this school year.

Q: What school do you go to for this class? Explain the transportation situation.
A: I have to go to Edison, I get dropped off at Annandale. Then a bus shuttle picks me up and leaves me to Edison High School. Then in the afternoons a bus picks me up and take me back to Annandale.

Q: What is an average class like? How often do you get hands-on classes? What are they like?
A: Average class: the first two periods is theory which is talking about current events that you speak on, reading, taking notes, and reviewing what you have learned. Then lunch and after, the last two periods is lab work you get assigned something to do. Every class routine!

Q: What advice would you give to someone who wants to take this class?
A: If your interested in this class take it serious and don’t give up easily learn from your mistakes because if you don’t then what’s the point of joining it. The beauty industry is rough and you need to push through and be prepared.

Q: What are some benefits of taking an academy course? What are the disadvantages?
A: Benefits is at the end you get licensed of course! You learn many new things and you build a family bond with everyone in the class!

Q:Do you earn any sort of special degree after completing this course? If so, how will that help you in the future?
A: Yes, you become a licensed cosmetologist. It’ll help me with my future so I can be licensed to get a job in something that I love doing.

Q:What has been your favorite thing to learn while taking this course?
A: Right now in the moment were working on hair. Personally I love doing haircuts and a beautiful blowout afterwards!