Lupe Fiasco brings unique style

An underrated name most had forgotten in hip-hop culture since his previous albums, artist Lupe Fiasco recently had a big comeback with his newly released album. After experiencing some delays, the highly anticipated rap and hip-hop album Lasers came out on March 8.

Known for his criticizing lyrics and great beats, Fiasco has a unique style that is not seen in the materialistic world of hip-hop today.

Wasalu Muhammad Jaco, better known by his stage name Lupe Fiasco, began his career recording songs in his father’s basement. A few years and many good songs later, Lupe Fiasco has become one of the most successful artists in his genre.

The sound of the album features numerous tracks with political and criticizing elements combined with electronic and club-sounding tracks.

This combination proves to be unique. However, critics do not seem to enjoy it, with the album having a score of 57 out of 100 at the review aggregator MetaCritic.

Fiasco chose to begin the album strongly and with personal intimations on his first track, “Letting Go,” which features Sarah Green.

This song incorporates an in-depth glance into Fiasco’s mind along with an introduction to the scrutinizing style of his album, “strip away the justice/justify the scrutiny/I can see the lasers/ shooting out of you and me.”

The second song on the album, “Words I Never Said” featuring Skylar Grey, elaborates more about political matters and his opinions, “Murdering is not Islam/ and you are not observant,” which along with an upbeat rhythm really stresses the lyrics to produce a good song.

The third song, “Till I Get There,” continues with the same style as the previous two songs, incorporating good beats with revealing lyrics. It is at the fourth song that Fiasco begins with a different approach.

“I Don’t Wanna Care Right Now” features a more rock/hip-hop sound than the previous songs, with a club feel and shallower lyrics, however the beat is relatively good, as with most of the songs on the album.

In addition to many other songs on the album, this track shows Fiasco trying to appeal to the typical hip-hop listeners. “Out of My Head” continues with this theme, adding in an element of R&B to the album.

The sixth and seventh tracks, the acclaimed single “The Show Goes On” and “Beautiful Lasers,” bring the album back to its normal criticizing lyrics and good beats. “Beautiful Lasers” demonstrates its purpose immediately, beginning with “Sometimes living in a world like this/It’s pretty hard not to go insane.”

“Coming Up” reverts back to the club feel of previous ones, beginning with the line, “this one goes out to all the baby girls.”

Fiasco then ends the album where it started with “State Run Radio,” “All Black Everything” and “Never Forget You,” which all feature political comments that emphasize Fiasco’s originality.

Overall, while critics may scrutinize the album for combining the electric sounds with political elements, it seems Lupe is attempting to please two types of music-lovers. The album mixes a new light-hearted upbeat sound with his old politically-charged tracks.

Combining these contrasting styles onto a single album is risky, but Lupe Fiasco pulls it off well with beats and impressive lyricism that everyone can appreciate.

Hopefully this is just the beginning of a successful career from the talented Lupe Fiasco.