Demi Lovato grows up

Demi Lovato grows up

Disney Channel is known for taking it’s television stars and somehow transforming them into the untalented, auto-tuned, fake versions of what they like to call singers.

Demi Lovato however, is an exception, and way beyond that. With her new album Unbroken, Lovato tells the story of her past, the struggles she fought with, and her current change. When you think of the 19-year-old teen sensation, it immediately brings images of the gap-toothed girl from Camp Rock, Princess Protection Program, Sonny with a Chance and other Disney Channel shows.

However, since Lovato’s image has grown up for the best, her music has too. Lovato claims her new album is, “Not too grown up, but grown up enough.”

When Lovato entered rehab in 2010, everyone was confused. On the outside, there didn’t seem to be anything wrong with the Disney star. Lovato had been tragically dealing with eating disorders and self-injury for a while, and it got worse when she allegedly lashed out on one of her backup dancers. That’s when she realized she needed to enter rehab.

Lovato was scheduled to tour with the Jonas Brothers but didn’t because she decided that it was more important to seek the treatment she needed for emotional and physical help. She stayed at Timberline Knoll’s residential treatment center near Chicago, until she received the help she had been long awaiting. During the time she spent getting help, she decided to focus on being honest and focusing on her music, thus Unbroken was created.  “I’ve been pretty honest … my whole journey has been about telling my story and hoping that when I share my story it inspires somebody.” said Lovato on in interview with MTV.

Lovato’s first song released off Unbroken titled “Skyscraper” was released over the summer, and it was directed at all the people who bullied her and tried to bring her down. The song climbed to the number one spot, where it sat for a while. The song came straight from her soul, and she really poured her heart into the song, exposing a vulnerable side of herself. Lovato said the single was “honest … about standing strong and tall like a skyscraper.” The song was also remixed by Wizz Dumb, and that remix is also featured on the album.

Partnering with Seventeen Magazine and the JED Foundation, Lovato helped to form “Love Is Louder than the Pressue to Be Perfect”. Demi told her story, and was proud of it every step of the way. With this, the teen can more easily reach out to her fans and tell them that they’re not alone.

The album unfolds with an upbeat dance song called “All Night Long” Ft hip-hop artists Missy Elliot and Timbaland. This song along with a variety of others on the album, is different from Lovato’s usual cookie-cutter pop rock.

Lovato also teamed up with artists DEV, Iyaz and Jason Derulo her song “Who’s That Boy” Ft DEV shows a flirty new healthy Lovato. “You’re My Only Shorty” Ft Iyaz is one of those songs that you hear and immedialy expect it to be heard on the radio. Lovato’s voice has changed completely and it now features a certain soul R&B flare to it. “Together”  featuring Jason Derulo seems to reflect on her past relationships and the changes that she’s dealing with.

Unbroken is an album worth buying and you won’t regret it.