Paranormal Activity 3

The anticipation of Paranormal 3 for some was either worth the wait or not worth it at all. After the second sequel of Paranormal, it was easy to catch on that the movies had been going in a backwards order, meaning it started from the end and ended at the beginning. Paranormal 3 happens to be the sequel that shows how it all started.

The movie begins with various noises coming from the house that the innocent family cannot distinguish. Similar to the other two sequels, the man of the house decides to start his own investigation by putting up cameras all over the house. Most of the suspicious and abnormal events happen during the time when everyone is sleeping.

In a few clips that the father decides to review, he can see that there was someone in his room late at night but he can’t tell who exactly it was because the outline of a body and the shadows on the floor created after the body has left are the only visible things.

Other clips reveal the youngest daughter getting up in the middle of the night to talk to her imaginary friend Toby, who she gets mad at several times. The youngest daughter reference Toby many times with her mom, dad and sister despite their lack of attention to it, until strange things start to happen.

The mother starts to catch on to the relation between Toby and the strange events at night and refuses to listen to anything else about Toby. At the same time the father is encouraging the daughter to talk about Toby to further his investigation.

Things start to get really out of hand and the mother decides to escape it all by taking her family to their grandparents’ house. On the first night at the grandparents’ house, things begin normal and quickly take a turn for the creepy when strange noises emerge in the room of the parents. The mother decides to head out to check it out but after taking too long, the father starts to call out for her in hopes of her returning. Another couple minutes go by with no sign of the mother. The father then takes the camera, goes downstairs and finds himself in the middle of his supernatural investigation.

While the plot was somewhat easy to figure out considering its typical plot, it did not fail to scare the entire audience. The tension was very well brought up and viewers fell for every silence followed by a burst of sound. After a while, it was impossible to predict anything because of the paralyzing fear, which added to thrill of it all. Overall, I would rate this a B for excelling at fear but lacking in plot.