Abusing amphetamines

Abusing+amphetamines

Every day, the pressure to be smarter, prettier and better plague the lives of teenagers. The standards for achievement in schools have also increased, including more homework, more effort and more time. Instead of turning to Monster, Red Bull or excessive amounts of junk food to stay awake, students turn to Adderall or Ritalin for a quick fix of energy.

Adderall and Ritalin are prescribed pills for people that had attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. The medicine has paradoxical effects that aid in focusing and calming down patients. Students abuse this medicine to maintain focus during exams or to pull all-nighters. The medicine can also be used to lose weight. The lack of appetite that comes as an effect of the medicine causes the weight loss.

According to the Center for Disease Control, about 66.3% of those currently diagnosed with ADHD have been legally prescribed medication for their symptoms. However, there is no research conducted to determine how many actually use their medicine in a legal way.

House parties and raves alike are well known for being populated with Adderall and Ritalin. The lack of adult supervision allows for the drug to be easily sold at these parties. The drug is normally swallowed or mixed with alcohol to increase the effects. It gives the user a euphoric “high” that lasts for about 12 to 14 hours.

Prescription Adderall goes for $40-50 a prescription. For ADHD patients, the medicine is ingested after breakfast for eight to 12 hours of the calming effects. Those abusing the medicine could swallow the capsule or snort the fined powder. Students that sell the medicine are prescribed it. Some claim their dosage is not effective and need higher doses in order for them to be able to sell more product.

Abusing adderall may provide a quick fix but the side effects can leave permanent damage. It can cause high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, memory lapse, aggression and weight loss. When mixed with alcohol or other drugs, the effects are dangerous and uncontrollable. The long term effects include high risk of heart attack and even stroke.