Fall play earns record 16 Cappies’ “critics choice” nominations

Juniors Laura Hackfeld (left) and Gwen Levey (right) depict the crazed aunts in Arsenic and Old Lace. Both Hackfeld and Levey have the potential to be nominated as The Aunts for Best Ensemble in a Play by the Cappies in the spring.
Juniors Laura Hackfeld (left) and Gwen Levey (right) depict the crazed aunts in “Arsenic and Old Lace.” Both Hackfeld and Levey have the potential to be nominated as “The Aunts” for Best Ensemble in a Play by the Cappies in the spring.
Juniors Laura Hackfeld (left) and Gwen Levey (right) depict the crazed aunts in "Arsenic and Old Lace." Both Hackfeld and Levey have the potential to be nominated as "The Aunts" for Best Ensemble in a Play by the Cappies in the spring.

It seems that “Arsenic and Old Lace” earned more than a few good laughs when the Cappies came to view the show on Dec. 3. Already, the play has earned 16 critics choice nominations from the Cappies that viewed the show, including the coveted category of “Best Play.” These critics choice nominations will go on the ballot to be voted on in May for the actual awards ceremony held annually at the Kennedy Center in early June. The top five selected from each category will go onto the awards show.

-Sound, Khalid Mohammad, Annandale High School, Arsenic & Old Lace

-Lighting, Kelly Dwyer, Jaime Gallo, Annandale High School, Arsenic & Old Lace

-Sets, Sam Dores, Jaime Gallo, Jin Lin, Chuan Shen, Annandale High School, Arsenic & Old Lace

-Costumes, Debbie Aderton, Jessica Fredericksen, Paulina Stehr, Annandale High School, Arsenic & Old Lace

-Make-up, Betsy Cohan-Lawson, Annandale High School, Arsenic & Old Lace

-Stage Crew, Jin Lin, Elizabeth Staley, Annandale High School, Arsenic & Old Lace

-Ensemble in a Play, The Aunts, Annandale High School, Arsenic & Old Lace

-Featured Actress, Bonne Clark, Annandale High School, Arsenic & Old Lace

-Featured Actor, Andy Riddle, Annandale High School, Arsenic & Old Lace

-Comic Actress in a Play, Laura Hackfeld, Annandale High School, Arsenic & Old Lace

-Comic Actor in a Play, Steve Aderton, Annandale High School, Arsenic & Old Lace

-Supporting Actress in a Play, Gwen Levey, Annandale High School, Arsenic & Old Lace

-Supporting Actor in a Play, Steve Aderton, Annandale High School, Arsenic & Old Lace

-Lead Actress in a Play, Laura Hackfeld, Annandale High School, Arsenic & Old Lace

-Lead Actor in a Play, Max Talley, Annandale High School, Arsenic & Old Lace

-Play, Arsenic & Old Lace, Annandale High School, Arsenic & Old Lace

List courtesy of http://www.cappies.com/shared/choices-listcat.php?year=2012&region=NCA&all=1