Hanna quick to disappoint

A government project gone wrong, a rogue agent, and a mysterious figure barely escaping the jaws of death. Sound familiar?

That’s because it’s one of Hollywood’s most overdone plots. Wolverine, the Bourne movies, and Salt are all examples of this beaten-to-death concept.
However, the previously listed films topped the box office grossing list and were recognized for their plots.

Saoirse Ronan (of The Lovely Bones) stars as Hanna Heller, a 16-year-old girl who is raised by her father Erik Heller (Eric Bana) in the deep forests of Finland.

Though they are isolated in the layers of snow that surround them, Erik raises Hanna while simultaneously training her to be an assassin. Hanna repeatedly tells her father that she is “ready” by assuring her fluency in Spanish, English, German, and Italian, but Erik tells her that she will not be ready until she can “be ready at all times, even when she is sleeping.”

When her father decides that she is prepared, he gives her the option to go off into society, to perform an undetermined task involving CIA agent Marissa Wiegler (Cate Blanchett), which quickly reveals itself to be a death chase. Just in time, Hanna meets a family who takes her under their wing, and she utilizes them to get to her dad, who said he would meet her in Berlin.

A comedic element to the movie was most obviously Hanna’s oblivion.

Like many intelligent people, she had serious trouble with social situations. For example, she could tell a young suitor of hers exactly how many muscles were required to perform a kiss, but lacked the understand of how to execute the peck. Instead of gratifying the poor boy, she flipped him and nearly strangled him, whispering to him that she enjoyed their kiss. What kiss?

Joe Wright, the director of the film, should have seen what the consistently baffled audiences questioned: how could the introduction have been so misleading?

The movie had excellent potential to be quirky twist on a traditional film plot, but went in the exact opposite direction. There wasn’t much of a plot at all, because scenes that could have involved dialogue included several prolonged fight scenes.

This film, when taking consideration the price of a movie ticket,  is not worth the time and money.